Tuesday, August 10, 2021

2021 Bigger Truck across Colorado, day 6

Day 6 started with a bomb into Gunnison (about 20 min east), then another half hour or so north to Crested Butte. Beautiful drive, even with the smoke blanketing all of the mountain views.  

We rolled in not really knowing what to expect. I knew it was a mountain biking mecca (and my bike was back at the campground - today was a family Jeep day), and after about 5 minutes in the downtown I knew I was home.

 

We grabbed some pizza for lunch at a fantastic local joint called Secret Stash, and watched as a steady parade of well equipped off road rigs loaded up with all manner of outdoor toys cruised through town. 

We mapped out a plan, bought some bracelets (unfortunately not from Deb)

from some local kids, and hopped back in the Jeep.

Just a couple miles north of town, a bit past Crested Butte Mountain, we headed out toward Schofield Pass

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. It was absolutely stunning, and after 10ish miles or so, we got to the tricky part. I had done enough research to know that going all the way to Crystal and possibly the Devil's Punchbowl was probably too risky since we were solo.



We actually chose reason over risk (shocking development), and just went a little ways toward Crystal before turning around and heading back toward Emerald Lake.


Since we had passed it on the way up, we sort of knew what we were in for, but seeing the lake from this angle almost looked fake.


Of course photos don't do this justice, as the road is a bit precarious up along the ridge overlooking the lake. It is a single lane wide with a couple of sketchy turnouts in case you meet oncoming traffic. Kim was not down with my plan to park the Jeep on the side for a few pics.




When we got to the tiny parking lot, you could tell it was a great backcountry spot to visit and chill. 


Multiple people had brought SUPs out to the lake, and we did our customary family shot only to hear "want us to take your picture?"


We are usually doing our own thing and don't get a lot of these, so this was a bit of a treat. And yes, Jordan can stop getting older anytime now. I keep looking over expecting to see the little girl we know and see this teenager. Crazy times, but it make these moments that much more valuable. 



The drive out was a challenge to Kim's patience, as it was just too picturesque for me to pass up.




We had seen a few of these choppers (you knew it was coming) earlier in the day, and Jordan snagged my phone and grabbed this shot of them just overhead. I will admit, being that far out into the wild and seeing/hearing those had me make a Red Dawn reference, which Kim and Jordan just nodded to as they do to all my pop culture mentions. Ok, sure Dad.


With the Jeep trails complete, we slowly backtracked to camp, stopping one more time in downtown Crested Butte to say our farewell. I can see us spending more time here in the future, it's like they created a town specifically for me (except I didn't see RAD playing nonstop anywhere).  The only thing missing for us is proximity to water, so this may be an extended visit kind of location. Either way, we'll be back.

When we got to the campground, I was still a bit restless and the female contingent was cashed, so I set out to a nearby hike called Dillon Pinnacles.  I swear, these things are named as some sort of a long running joke being played on me. The references are too blatant.


Just as I heard some rustling in the bushes along the trail, I started questioning the wisdom of setting out on a hike at dusk in the middle of nowhere, without any cell coverage, solo, when I stumbled upon this omen to assure me I had used good judgement.


The payoff was this vista just as the sun was setting. 




I did end up making it back to the campsite uneaten by whatever was out there, and would highly recommend that hike at dusk. No one for miles, and it feels like you're in an old western. Or Blazing Saddles.

Tomorrow - Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the even less visited side.  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment