Sunday, July 28, 2024

2024 Bigger Truck across Canada day 10

Day 10 - last night it started to set in that this would be our last full day of actual vacation, as the next 3 days will just be driving back home. We (royal we) were determined to make this day worthwhile. I got up and headed out early to get in a bike ride. The PEI National Park has a decent trail system, no real singletrack to speak of near us, but at least some non-paved trails which fit the bill for me just fine.
These trails are all along the shoreline, woods, or beaches, so it was a really enjoyable ride. It's been quite humid up here, and today was no exception. Highs have been right around 27deg C (I'm learning), but today was supposed to get up to 32C (!). We needed to get back into the park before noon based on our pass from the previous day, so I squeezed in as much of a ride as I could, hitting the Homestead, Cavendish Beach, Dunelands trails.
We had considered a beach day, but decided to scrap that to do a little more exploring and find some rocky coastline that was recommended by a local. We swung into the park to check out the beach and it looked like we had made the right decision. Zero waves (the main requirement to keep Jordan and I interested), and herds of tourists.
On our way back to the Jeep, I snagged a shot of the trails as Canada does a very nice job with their signage, symbols, etc. Even the signs seem like they are being polite.
From there we headed to the Green Gables Heritage Place, part of the National Park and the number one thing on Jordan's list for today. I received a crash course in all things Anne of Green Gables, and although I didn't know much about it, I could appreciated how into it Kimberly and Jordan were. We checked out the exhibits that seemed to be quite true to the book, including the Haunted Wood trail.
When we finally made it back inside (need the AC badly, the humidity was making me look like I just ran a marathon), I was struck by this photo.
I believe this gentleman was the author's grandfather, but the details of his life are quite inconsequential. His hair/beard/facial hair combo is immaculate and needs more attention. I need to add this to my look sometime in the not so distant future, but I fear it may create some marital challenges.
After we had been fully Green Gabled, we were on to Seacow Head Lighthouse to hopefully scramble on some rocks. On the way, we were all jonesing for some food, so we ended up finding the Breakwater Bar & Grill and scored some rooftop seating right along the marina & waterfront.
Those swings were so cool, and when the server saw me taking pics of Jordan and Kimberly, she graciously offered to get photos of all 3 of us on the swings. She even went to great lengths to pose us, had us looking back at the camera, it was very nice. Until I saw the pics.
That's my forearm on the right. Definitely one for the Christmas card.

We made our way to the lighthouse, and although there were some rocks to climb on, it wasn't exactly what we were hoping for.

We typically don't get that many pics of Kimberly and I, so we asked Jordan to oblige. Beggars can't be choosers.
Moments like this help me realize why we do these trips. As an added bonus, if you zoom way in on the horizon to the left, you can see the Confederation Bridge we crossed to reach the island.
In search of more rocks, we headed next to a nearby pier, and although we couldn't do much climbing, this one was unique enough to scratch the itch.
We started to find different names & messages carved into the rocks, finding one dating back to 1974. This particular area reminded us a lot of the Upper Penisula, with a 2 track leading directly out to the beach - no development, no nothing.
It was about a 45 minute drive back to the campsite, and again, not a straight road to be found, and you're either descending or climbing nearly at all times. Can't wait to drive the Loaf on these tomorrow. After a bit of downtime to prep for departure, we decided to head into Cavendish to catch the sunset. We found a roadside trail leading to the beach, and were rewarded with our very own private beach - one person wandering picking up shells, otherwise it was all ours. The backdrop?
I can never see a sun like this without it immediately conjuring up Star Wars imagery (I know, the nerd thing).
I don't know if it was the time of night, the fact that we've been going nonstop for 10 straight days, or the fact that we all knew we're heading back in the morning, but everyone was slaphappy and it was great.
We ruled the beach with all manner of shenanigans, until we finally decided to pack it in and head back.
Tomorrow - reality sets in as we turn it around and start heading for home. No set destination yet, just as far as we can make it.

Prince Edward Island, you have been a wonderful host. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment